Get your phone out and get this on your calendar. The 2018 Sherwood Carnival is Saturday March 10 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
A packet with raffle order forms and other information went home in backpacks on Friday, February 9.
The PTA has planned a fun day full of attractions, raffles and yummy snacks.
All food and games are paid for with tickets. Games are 1-3 tickets per turn and food items will cost you 2-7 per item. Tickets are 5 for $1 before the event or 4 for $1 on the day of. Unlimited game play wristbands are available for pre-purchase for $15. Buying the day of the Carnival will bring the price up to $17.
Sherwood is getting ready for Family Fitness Night with a spirit week!
Check out the schedule below:
Sherwood PTA invites you to an evening out of the house, playing games with your family and friends!
Join us in Sherwood Cafeteria on Tuesday, January 9th from 6:00-8:00 for Family Game Night.
Games are all quick to pick up and learn, have simplified instructions, and can be played at your own pace. Most games can be played by non-readers.
A must check-out game is Family Feud with answers supplied by Sherwood 3-6 graders. Other games include Outburst, Double Ditto, Reverse Charades, Headbandz, Yahtzee, Taboo Jr, Uno, Jenga, Apples to Apples, and more!
This is a food-free event, and there will be nothing to purchase. If you have any games to share, especially jumbo sized, please message email@example.com.
Tuesday, October 24
6:30pm - 8:30pm
All 6th graders are encouraged to attend this fun party with 6th graders from all of the Forest Hills Schools. Even if you don't like to skate - come have a good time with your classmates!
Students MUST return a completed permission slip and a medical release form prior to the event! If you do not turn in these forms you will not be able to attend.
Please note there is NOT a charge. Your $30 contribution to 6th Grade Activities covers this event. Forms are due by Tuesday, October 17th. Contact Debbie Welker if you have any questions.
The Sherwood PTA would love to welcome you our wonderful school. We think you are going to love Sherwood! Here's some helpful tips to get you ready for the school year ahead.
1. If you are a Facebook person, you should join the Sherwood Parents Group. It's the best place to get your questions answered quickly.
2. School shopping is hassletown. Bright SchoolKitz make it easy. It's like Amazon for school supplies. Pay now, and a box of perfect supplies will be waiting on your kid's desk. You have until 8/15 to sign up.
3. Drop off and pick up are intense, like every sitcom you've ever seen. You don't use the rotunda in front of the school, instead kids are dropped off at the gym door. You've gotta wait until you are at the door to let them out.
4. There are two ways to pay for lunch. You can put money in your child's EZ Pay Account online or give them cash each day.
5. If you want to give your child a chance to look around, the Back to School Bash on Thursday, August 31 at 5 p.m. is a great way to do it. If you are new and your child will be in grade 1 or above, there's a new family orientation at 4 p.m. on the 31st as well. Kindergarten parents, you will have another time scheduled for this, don't worry.
6. We have an excellent, PTA-produced newsletter that goes out each week during school called NewsBytes. Sign up here. Principal Hamilton also sends out a weekly message to parents.
7. This website is another great resource. It's updated each week!
8. Last, but not least, consider joining our PTA. Your $10 membership fee gives you access to the Holy Grail of Sherwood info - The Directory. It's the only place to get the names, phone numbers and email addresses of that kid your child is badgering you to set a playdate with. Plus, the PTA is a great place to do great work for your child's school alongside some very warm-hearted folks.
Welcome to Sherwood!
Every year, Sherwood PTA puts on a Field Day on the final day of the school year. Students, teachers and parents love this tradition. We need your help to make this day great.
There are shifts throughout the day from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. for outdoor events and between 10:45 a.m. -1:45 a.m. for ice cream floats. If you are able to work multiple shifts that is great!
If you are unable to help during the day, we are also looking for families to purchase water balloons and fill up and deliver before school. Additionally, we will need corn-hole boards for the day.
Outdoor activity times are:
Grades 2, 4, 6, AM-K
9:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Grades 1, 3, 5
11:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
1:15 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
If you would like to volunteer for Field Day, click HERE to sign up.
Beautiful flowers and a selection of vegetables from Burger Farm will be offered to the students at a cost of $1.00 each. There is a limit of two plants per student.
Students will purchase plants during class time and should bring their money to school on Friday, May 12th.
Volunteers are needed to help with the annual Mother's Day Plant Sale on Friday, May 12th.
Click on this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a054aaaa62ba20-mothers2.
Contact Lisa Beasley at 4LBeasley@gmail.com with questions.
Sherwood Elementary School fifth-grade students will go to Camp Kern May 10-12, 2017.
For more than 30 years, Forest Hills School District has offered an overnight, outdoor educational experience to all fifth-grade students.
his three-day program is held at the YMCA Camp Kern located near Lebanon in Oregonia, Ohio. Forest Hills staff, Camp Kern staff, and Forest Hills high school students serve as teachers, leaders, and counselors during the experience. There will be 2 in each cabin of 10-12 kids. They will spend both full days and nights with their cabin.
Forest Hills provides an on-site nurse and/or health aide for each session, on duty around the clock.
Emily Atwood generously took very specific notes at the Camp Kern parent meeting. Some of the info she shared on the Sherwood Parents Facebook Page is below.
$136 which includes camp fees, staffing, transportation, and admission. There is financial assistance and no student had ever been prevented from going to Camp Kern due to finances. Contact your school counselor for this assistance, if needed. Payment is due by April 14th.
Medications need to be turned in at least 7 days before camp to the school, in their original bottles (whether prescription or over-the-counter). Only send the amount needed and place all bottles in a Ziploc bag with child's name on it. For any last minute medication turn ins, bring to the departure and give to the district representative. All meds must have a permission form.
There will be academic and support activities. All children will do each academic activity. These include a Fort Ancient hike, fossil hunting, touring a pioneer log cabin, learning about plants that pioneers used for food and medicine, making a candle using only pioneer tools, study the pond ecosystem, and canoeing. Each student may only choose 1 support activity. These are archery, pioneer cooking, arts & crafts, fishing, tracking, and an 'escape the pyramid' team building activity.
There is no horseback riding, zip-lining, or swimming for our campers. Some campers used to be able to pay extra and do these but that is no longer happening.
Arrive no earlier than 7:45 a.m.
Labels on luggage & bedding
Drop luggage at truck
Say goodbye at home or in the care.
Arrive no earlier than 2:45 p.m.
Park and sign out your child
No food is to come with the kids. This prevents health issues, allergies, and bugs. The cafeteria will have choices for all of our picky children. Cereal, fruit, hot breakfast bar, hot dogs, grilled cheese, snacks chicken, spaghetti, salad bar. The kids only eat three times a day so they can take and eat as much as they want. Just please speak to them about not wasting ~ only take what they will actually eat, and go back for more if necessary. There are vegetarian-friendly options available, as well.
Love to exercise? Want to socialize while doing it?
Join fellow Sherwood moms each week to get your run on! We will meet on Tuesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. in the Sherwood parking lot.
The routes will start with three miles and will build from there.
Questions? Please email Emily Strausbaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hope to see you there!
By Heather Goeke and Tracy Huebner